Saturday, April 25, 2009

Masking with Drafting Tape


When I created this Skateboard layout for a friend I wanted to add a little bling to this "Boys" page. So I decided to create some distressed lines up to a series of stars reminiscent of search lights. To create the distressed lines I used drafters tape. It looks a lot like ordinary masking tape, but the sticky formula is different. This tape is designed to work well with paper and can be removed and repositioned without harming the paper. I learned about the useful qualities of drafters tape from my watercolor painting experience.

In this layout I wanted a nice clean edge for one side of each line, so I put a piece of drafters tape down and distressed the page starting from my tape and moving away. I repositioned the tape for each line. When my distressing was complete I took Stickles (here's the bling) and applied it near the straight edge of each line. Then I used an old watercolor paint brush to spread the Stickles over each line giving them a nice sparkle.

2 comments:

Peggy April 26, 2009 at 12:51 AM  

Yeah Dolores, I love the fact that you're putting some tutorials on your blog, this is so helpful for many of us, well, it is for me LOL.
Thanks again my friend, you're so sweet!
Love the LO btw, it's a perfect boy LO.
xxx Peggy

Lynn Biermann April 29, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

This is so wonderful! I love the movement the lo has! Your work is Fantastic!!

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP